Private funding provided by the Open Space Institute (OSI) helped 尊龙d88ag旗舰厅 purchase development and timbering rights along one of Tennessee’s most biodiverse rivers. This collaborative conservation easement protects nearly 550 acres of habitat along Whites and 松溪s to ensure the land’s scenic forest and streams remain clean and wild for future generations.
尊龙d88ag旗舰厅 was able to purchase the property’s development and timbering rights with support from OSI at a deeply discounted rate thanks to the generosity of the landowners, Annie and 史蒂夫 Scarborough. This easement forever protects the creeks and the hemlock-rich woods where the Scarboroughs have called home for decades.
“我们在怀特溪住了30年了, 在我们去过的最美妙的地方之一抚养我们的孩子,” 史蒂夫 & 安妮斯卡伯勒. “壮观的峡谷, 瀑布, and diverse habitat of Whites Creek and its tributary streams call to anyone with any outdoors in their soul. We’re overjoyed to work with our friends at OSI and TennGreen to complete this large step in preserving this beautiful land and water for the future. 我们如何表达我们的感激之情都不为过.”
这个项目是第二个 TennGreen保护地役权 在斯卡伯勒拥有的土地上完成, as the philanthropic couple continues to demonstrate their commitment to protecting the rich habitat and clean waters along the river. This conservation easement allows the Scarboroughs to continue to enjoy their land recreationally, 并将其出售或传给他们的继承人, 同时永久限制某些用途，比如开发, 木材收获, 和矿物质提取. 它和土地永远在一起, 意思是任何未来的土地所有者必须遵守地役权的限制. 每年, TennGreen staff will visit and monitor the property to ensure that the easement’s terms are being upheld.
这一完整地役权约保留7.沿着溪流绵延5英里的土地, 包括蓝色的分支, 营分支, 水獭溪, 松溪, 和白人溪. Both Whites Creek and 松溪 have been identified as possessing Natural and Scenic Qualities of statewide significance (TN Rivers Assessment Project). Whites Creek hosts a variety of beautiful fish and wildlife, including the rare Tangerine Darter (Percina树蛙)，在田纳西河清澈的源头支流中发现. Male Tangerine Darters have been described as one of the most colorful freshwater fish in the United States due to their bright orange and red colors during their breeding season.
除了巨大的栖息地保护效益, protection of this land along Whites Creek helps ensure that the view along the creek remains natural. The portion of Whites Creek that flows along the property has been rated as a Class III Whitewater stream, and Whitewater paddlers have long enjoyed the scenic beauty and difficulty of running its waters.
This collaborative conservation success marks TennGreen’s 15th completed project in the area and adds to nearly 12,之前在坎伯兰由该组织保护的5万英亩土地, 土卫五, 和罗恩县. 以前的成功包括:
- 绿湾喀斯特森林: Conservation of 956 acres of scenic, forested, and cave-riddled habitat along Justin P. 威尔逊坎伯兰径州立公园(坎伯兰径)
- 孤星: 保存6个以上,000 acres to protect wildlife habitat and 20+ miles of streams and provide an important connection along the Cumberland Trail
- 黑色的山: 保护518英亩的高崖, 野花, 以及坎伯兰小道上的历史遗迹
- 布雷迪山: 沿着坎伯兰小径，保护了一个重要的352英亩的连接地带
- Devilstep空心: 永久保护的洞穴财产，以其广泛的生物, 文化, 以及坎伯兰小道上的地质意义
- 参加山: Conservation of 200 acres to protect essential habitat and expand recreational opportunities along the Cumberland Trail
- 煤炭溪农场: 5 .加强保育生境,200-acre farm and forest property containing the headwaters of Whites Creek and abutting the Karst Forest at Grassy Cove
- 伊丽莎白营保护: 收购了奥拜德河上的一处重要房产, 卡图萨野生动物保护区和奥贝德野生风景河上游两英里
- CROET: Acquisition of land abutting high-quality wetlands associated with the floodplains of Bear Creek and East Fork Poplar Creek, 哪些地方支持各种植物和动物物种, 包括受到威胁或濒临灭绝的黄百合, 北美黄莲, 粉红色的女士拖鞋, 嘴冲, 和人参
- Catoosa-McLeod: 国家收购并扩大了82英亩土地, made possible through support from a Heritage Conservation Trust Fund grant awarded to TennGreen
- 查尔斯·R. 罗素俄备得保护: Permanent protection of private land that contains endangered species of fish and two 瀑布, 位于奥比德河上, 卡图萨WMA和奥贝德野生风景河上游6英里
- 鹭希尔: Permanent protection of private land and habitat for rare and endangered species (including the listed prairie goldenrod) located along the shores of Watts Bar Lake
- 负鼠小跑水域: Permanent protection of private land that contains extensive frontage along Whites Creek, 流过白溪峡谷保护地役权的地方
- white Creek(2011保护地役权): Permanent protection of private land on the eastern slope of the Cumberland Plateau that is home to rare and uncommon flora and fauna and includes a commanding view of the Whites Creek gorge and frontage of nearly a mile of Whites Creek, 瓦茨巴勒湖的支流
“The completion of this Whites and 松溪 Gorge 保护地役权 represents a huge conservation win for wildlife and Tennesseans,” 史蒂夫 Law, 尊龙d88ag旗舰厅的执行董事. “This spectacular and diverse property is located on the Cumberland Plateau—one of Tennessee’s crown jewels. 保护水域, 森林, 我们的使命如此重要的原因就是这里的前景, 我们的工作很有意义. I’m thankful to the Scarboroughs for their generous gift to future generations and to OSI for funding this exceptional project.”
“OSI is proud to have supported the protection of Whites and 松溪 Gorge,” 乔尔·豪瑟，OSI东南地区协调员. 这里以其无与伦比的生物多样性和自然资源而闻名, 这是最好的财产之一脱颖而出. 随着这个项目的成功完成, not only will 森林 on the property continue to filter clean water entering Whites and Piney creeks, but the land will also be critical habitat for plants and animals as the climate changes. OSI salutes the incredible generosity of the Scarboroughs and the hard work and dedication of TennGreen.”
尊龙d88ag旗舰厅’s Whites and 松溪 Gorge project was supported by grants from the Open Space Institute (OSI) because of the tract’s importance in facilitating wildlife adaption to climate change. OSI从多丽丝·杜克慈善基金会筹集了资金, 林德赫斯特和本伍德基金会, 及默克家族基金. 另外, this project was supported through a generous bargain sale from the Scarborough family, 还有乔治·林德曼的资助.